Now is a great time to buy if you’re looking at houses for sale in Harker Heights as mortgage rates are at record lows.
When you think of Texas, there is a good chance that you are thinking of cowboys, cattle, and tumble weeds, but this tight-knit community doesn’t resemble the wild west at all.
This quiet suburb of Killeen is home to many families of active and retired military service members. If you are looking to move to the Fort Hood area, let us show you a hidden gem just outside of the city, Harker Heights.
An Overview of Harker Heights
There is so much to love about the city of Harker Heights, TX. We get quite a few questions about the area, so here’s some of the most frequently asked questions.
Where is Harker Heights Located? Central Texas; approximately 2.5 hours south of Dallas and about an hour north of Austin.
What county is Harker Heights TX in? Bell County, nestled between Coryell, Falls, and Williamson Counties.
What is the population? 28,716, not tiny, but not a big city either.
The Harker Heights area boasts an 83/100 ranking in a livability score. It is ranked 225 in the state of Texas and 2,050 in the United States. That places the city in the top 10% of cities in the United States. It carries above average scores in amenities, weather, education, and cost of living.
The community has an abundance of top-notch coffee shops, restaurants, and grocery stores for the convenience of their residents. (Try Cup of Joe Coffee Shop.) You’ll be glad you did!
What Makes Harker Heights a Great Place to Purchase a Home?
Residents of Harker Heights appreciate the lower crime rates, great school system, and access to local area entertainment that comes with living just outside a major city.
Just 15 minutes from the Fort Hood and 12 minutes from Killeen, the Harker Heights community has easy access to major area attractions while enjoying quiet suburb living.
Close to Fort Hood
Harker Heights is just minutes from several gates on Fort Hood. The commute is short, but you’re far enough away that you don’t feel like your living on post. You’ll get a good mix of military and civilian families in the neighborhoods.
It is as little as a 15 minute drive to the Warrior Way Gate and about a 15 minute drive to the Bernie Beck main gate, depending on traffic. The short commute is definitely a reason many of our active duty service members decide purchase houses for sale in Harker Heights.
But then again, traffic is not nearly as bad in “Heights” as it is in Killeen.
Plenty of Shopping in Harker Heights
In the greater Fort Hood area, Harker Heights undoubtedly offers the best shopping experiences compared to it’s neighboring cities.
The Market Heights shopping complex has everything you want and need. It draws in shoppers from the other cities like Killeen and Nolanville.
You’ll find Everything from Target to Bed Bath and Beyond. you’ll find it in the Market Heights shopping complex on the north side of the town.
Shopping, however, is only the tip of the iceberg for this beautiful town. There are countless dining options as well.
You’ll Never Go Hungry
Harker Heights has access to plenty of restaurants with top rated reviews that range from Venezuelan, Greek, tex-mex, Italian, and more. It would be impossible to go hungry! Here are some popular restaurants for you to enjoy:
- Arepitas – According to their website, Arepitas offers food full of flavors and emotions, and their patrons seem to agree. They note entrees served in large portions with vegetarian options, and they recommend the sweet plantains and Nutella pie.
- Acropolis – This eatery offers Mediterranean fare that is both tasty and healthy. People rave over their lamb plate and suggest the limoncello cake for dessert.
- Palmeras Tex-Mex Con Sabor – Palmeras offers a contemporary take on tex-mex cuisine as they specialize in tacos, enchiladas, and fajitas. They suggest pairing your mean with a hand-crafted cocktails or choosing from the beer and wine menu for the ultimate experience.
- Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe – Known for its savory fare and cocktails, Razzoo’s prepares authentic cajun food from scratch. Whether you want to try the Grilled Gator Tail or the Shrimp Piquant, they are determined to provide you with an authentic meal.
- Tillie Marie’s Tillie Marie’s – With every recipe made from scratch, Tillie Marie’s is spreading the love one plate at a time. Their regulars boast about their friendly atmosphere and homey feel. If you’ve never had soul food, you’d better try it out!
There’s plenty to do in and around the area. Whether you’re the outdoors-type and looking for a hike, or the type that loves the night life, Heights has something for everyone.
- Dana Peak Park – The park has trails for hiking, running, and mountain biking. If camping is more your speak, find yourself a campsite along Stillwell Lake with picturesque views.
- Boulder Sport Climbing Center – This attraction will allow you to reach to new heights with indoor rock climbing. They have walls for all ages and technical levels.
- River Hollow Farm – If you are just looking for a place to find relaxation and solace, book a package here. Get yourself a massage or enjoy your time with someone special
- Club Fuego – Music and dancing are always a pleaser. Club Fuego offers drink specials and an inviting atmosphere.
Those are just a few places located in the city and doesn’t even begin to describe all of the attractions in neighboring suburbs.
Welcome to your New Home in Harker Heights
We’ve helped hundreds families find their dream homes in the Harker Heights area. We look forward to handing you the keys to your new home!
If you are considering any of the houses for sale in Harker Heights, know that we have you covered.
As relocation specialists, we will always be a step ahead as we show popular attractions for dining, shopping, and entertaining.
With years of real estate experience, we will anticipate your needs and help you find just what you are looking for. Whether you are looking for a quiet spot on the edge of town or you want to be in the thick of it all, we are excited for you to call Harker Heights home.
Your Friend in Real Estate
Amanda is here to be by your side through the entire transaction. She will be there to hype you up through your home search, pick you up when you are discouraged, find solutions when problems pop up, and be there to take your photo with your keys at the closing table.
She understands that real estate is a people business and looks forward to building a lasting relationship.
If you’d like to experience a first-class home buying experience, give us a call at (number.) Your real estate best friend is here to listen and help you find your next dream home!