Gatesville is a quaint little town in Central Texas. Shrouded in rich history, Gatesville, TX, is home to around 13,000 residents, and it serves as the county seat for Coryell County.
Its namesake is from the historic Fort Gates which is adjacent to the city. The Fort originally existed from 1849 to 1852, but the historic remains can still be found on the southeast side of Gatesville.
But don’t be thrown off by the small size, there are plenty of things to do and places to live with all of the homes for sale in Gatesville, TX. You’ll see why you should call Gatesville your next hometown.
A small town, but close to the big cities.
Gatesville townsfolk live in peace while still enjoying all the cultural amenities that nearby cities have to offer. It’s the perfect town for families who want to be in the country but still have easy access to Waco, Temple, and even Austin.
Sure, this town has enough to keep you going – there are around 20 restaurants and a Walmart, HEB, and other shopping – but those larger towns are a short drive away.
While Austin is only a 1:45 drive down I35, Waco and Temple are around a 45-minute drive to the northeast and southeast. Just on the other side of Fort Hood is the Killeen and Harker Heights area. It’s around a 40-minute drive to see everything those cities have to offer.
Activities and things to do in town.
Don’t be put off by the small town and think there’s not much to do because there is plenty to do.
The town itself has lots of activities to take part in – the historic downtown is beautiful and has antique shops, museums, and eateries.
- Coryell Museum & History Center. Somewhat of an odd claim to fame, but honors the city’s roots, the Coryell Museum and History Center has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, collection of spurs in the world. Check that off your bucket list!
- The Last Drive-In Picture Show. That’s right, Gatesville has a drive-in movie theater. It’s known for its drive-in to the surrounding cities. Not sure if it’s the last one, as the name claims, but it’s not a far stretch. Despite being tons of fun, these theaters are not as famous as they once were, but everyone still loves them. You’ll be sure to love the nostalgic feel of catching a movie from the bed of your truck.
- Hunting local game. As with Central Texas in general, there’s plenty of hunting in Gatesville. Whether you’re shooting dove or bagging a whitetail, you’ll find it here. And if you don’t, there’s always the 6S River Ranch for a more catered hunting experience.
- And so much more! Also worth noting are the various other attractions such as Faunt LeRoy Park, the splash pad, and walking trails. It’s a town you can get out and explore.
Restaurants and eateries in Gatesville.
We all love to eat, and Gatesville has options for you. There are around 20 restaurants in the area, including fast food joints and small mom-and-pop eat-in diners.
Here are some of my favorite places to stop and grab a bite to eat-
- The Feed Mill. Located in historic downtown Gatesville, the Feed Mill offers an all-American cuisine in a fun yet relaxed atmosphere. The reviews are great, but the food is even better!
- Bi’s Coffee A Go-Go. Located on Highway 36 (business), this coffee house is a staple in the mornings. You can get yourself a coffee and a sandwich on your way to work.
- J&M Hill Country BBQ. In Texas, we all love our barbeque. J&M doesn’t disappoint. Whether you’re in the mood for brisket, pulled pork, fried fish, or just a simple burger, their food is fantastic.
The Schools Are Great!
As a small town, Gatesville takes great pride in its local school district. They have great teachers and staff and excellent facilities.
The Gatesville ISD has five schools that span Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade. It’s a little different than most school districts, but when your student population is neither too small or too large, you get a district with five different levels of schools.
- Gatesville Primary School: PreK-K
- Gatesville Elementary School: 1-3
- Gatesville Intermediate School (GIS): Grades 4-6
- Gatesville Junior High School (GJHS): Grades 7-8
- Gatesville High School (GHS): Grades 9-12
They’re all known as the Gatesville Hornets, and throughout the year, you can see Hornet pride throughout the town – especially during homecoming week. The high school football games are pretty popular, and during that week, there’s a giant bonfire near GIS in which the city celebrates its students.
Welcome to Your New Home In Gatesville!
Regardless of where you’re looking to settle down, you’re going to love this little town.
Homes for sale in Gatesville range in prices and sizes with something for everyone. You can find homes in the countryside on acreage or newly built homes in the heart of the city. No matter your preference, homes in Gatesville are perfect for families with children or couples just starting.
Ready to call it your hometown?
If you’re looking for a real estate agent to help you through the home buying process, give me a shout, and I would love to help you with your home search.